6th Colloquium on historical earthquakes & paleoseismology studies
Their contribution to the knowledge of the long-term seismic activity and to seismic hazard assessment
Han-sur-Lesse (Belgium) - 24-25 October 2018 (google map
on 26 October 2018: Recent tectonic markers in the Han-sur-Lesse and Rochefort caves
the Royal Observatory of Belgium
the “Domaine des Grottes de Han
The colloquium is the 6th of a series that began in 2013 in Paris with the colloquium “Macroseismicity: sharing and use of historical data”. The main topics are: historical earthquakes, macroseismology, archeoseismology, paleoseismology, earthquake catalogues and databases, active faults, seismotectonics, neotectonics, and their contribution to the knowledge of seismic hazard and a better understanding of the long term seismic activity. A specific session will be devoted to earthquake effects in caves.
Confirmed Invited Keynote Lectures:
- Aurélia Hubert-Ferrari (Université de Liège): Present-day knowledge and questions about seismic versus aseismic activity of the Anatolian Faults in Turkey integrating historical earthquakes, paleoseimic studies and creep evidenced by Insar studies.
- Hélène Dessales (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris): Analysis of post-earthquakes reconstructions in Pompei (RECAP Program).
- Eric Calais (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris): A new paradigm for large earthquakes in stable continental plate interiors.
- Klaus-G. Hinzen (University of Cologne): Elements for a comprehensive archeoseismological study.
- Oona Scotti (IRSN - Paris)
- Diethelm Kaiser (BGR - Hannover)
- Marc De Batist (UGhent - Ghent)
- Michel Van Camp (ROB - Brussels)
- Thierry Camelbeeck (ROB)
- Thomas Lecocq (ROB)
- Yves Quinif (UMons - UNESCO Global Geopark Famenne-Ardenne)
- Sophie Verheyden (Belspo - UNESCO Global Geopark Famenne-Ardenne)
- Kris Vanneste (ROB)
- Fabienne Collin (ROB)
Base fee (75€): covers the lunches and coffee breaks for 24 and 25 October, and the Conference Dinner on 24 October.
Extra fee (+25€): requested to the participants of the excursion on 26 October to cover the bus shuttle and midday lunch.
- Oral Presentation:
- Keynotes: 40 min (30/35 min presentation + 5/10 min questions)
- Normal Presentation: 20 min (15 min presentation + 5 min questions)
- Poster Presentation:
- ? the poster boards are relatively small
- Poster must be in Portrait
- Width: maximum 75 cm
- Recommended height: 100 cm
Rooms have been pre-booked at the Hôtel Grenier des Grottes, participants are required to book directly with the hotel (firstname.lastname@example.org) and mentionning the "password": "Earthquake2018".
The hotel is full as of 27/9.
Other solutions exist in the area:
- Bus schedule between Jemelle Gare (train station) and Han sur Lesse: link
- We will organise shuttles to/from train stations if needed; and to/from hotels if not accessible by foot in Han.